Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Coyote upgrades

133K views 50 replies 4 participants last post by  I Bleed Ford Blue 
#1 · (Edited)
From an external point of view the truck coyote is identical to the mustang version. There are only 3 things that are different between the two, The mustang version gets 11.0:1 compression ratio while the truck gets 10.5:1, the next difference is the cams. I have heard from some that the exhaust cams are different, while others say the intakes are. Either way, something is different with the cams. And the third is the stock programming in the ECM. Stock power ratings are 360 hp and 380 tq on the truck and either 412 or 420 hp and 390 tq on the stang version.

Now that the basics are outta the way, lets get to the upgrades available.

The intake manifold is the same between the two, so that means the two available intakes from FRPP will fit the truck engine. They are the BOSS 302 intake and the Cobra Jet intake. The pros and cons of both are,

Boss intake
Pros-extends the upper rpm range beyond what the stocker can do while losing very little to none on the bottom end. Can use the stock round 80 mm TB or the larger TB's from BBK and FRPP in the 85 and 90 mm sizes.

Cons- doesn't make as much power as the CJ intake.

Cobra Jet intake

Pros- makes more power than the boss does.

Cons- loses some bottom end in trade for the excellent top end, needs an oval TB from the Shelby GT 500 engine and a new CAI tube.

Camshafts as of now there are only to companies that have cams for the coyote. FRPP (ford racing power parts) and comp cams.

The cams available from frpp is the stock mustang set and the boss 302 set. That's it

From comp there are six sets available, 3 N/A and 3 blower grinds. All are NSR (no springs required) but do require phaser locks. For my money, if I were going to drop approx 1500 on a set of cams, I'm getting the comps. They make more power than the stockers. Remember, the hp gains claimed are on a mustang coyote, so why would you put stock stang cams in your truck engine. I have seen reports of people getting anywhere from 80-100 more hp at the wheels on a stang with the boss intake and bigger tb, cnc ported heads, and a set of comp cams. If those claims are true that means up to 120 hp more at the crank. There is no reason you can't expect as much if not more on a truck coyote. Remember, the truck has milder cams and milder tuning than the mustang, so if you put mods intended for a stang on the truck you can get some huge gains.

Headers-Only two companies make long tubes for the coyote trucks. American racing headers makes a set and so does Stainless works. The SW's come in two versions, single outlet to work with the stock or aftermarket cat back setups, and a dual outlet setup for custom dual exhausts.

FRPP has 4 different coyote crate motors, the stock 412 hp mustang engine, the 444 hp boss 302 engine, and 2 aluminator engines. Both aluminators have forged internals for higher boost levels, and both have the bosses on the front cover machined off to accommodate the frpp supercharger. One version comes with 8.5:1 CR and the other has a stock 11:1 CR

Superchargers- FRPP/whipple makes a 2.3L twin screw s/c specifically for the coyote engine, but it requires modification to the front cover. Edelbrock also makes one and it uses the 2.3L eaton TVS rotors. and Roush makes one also and it too uses the 2.3 eaton TVS, the roush uses a second belt to drive the s/c instead of the main FEAD belt like the edelbrock and frpp/whipple.

I imagine that the big players for centrifugal s/c's have or are working on a setup for the coyote trucks. They are vortech, procharger, paxton, etc. Also STS turbo makes a universal single turbo kit, but it mounts under the truck and down stream of the Y pipe, no good on an off road truck. Also hellion power systems can make you a custom single or twin turbo setup for $$$

Dress up items- if you stay with the stock intake you can use the mustang engine cover, it snaps right on. Also the frpp coil covers for the mustang fit the truck too.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Part 2-swaps

You can swap a coyote into just about anything. Ford engineers got it right when they made sure the coyote was swap friendly, it has the exact same bosses on the side of the block as the 4.6 blocks and the same bell-housing bolt pattern so anything that had a 4.6 in it will take a coyote as a literal boltin. If there is a swap kit available to put a 4.6 into your intended vehicle, then the coyote will work too.

Exhaust- your may be on your own. It all depends on the vehicle and if your going with long tubes or stock manifolds.

Electronics- FRPP makes a control pack just for coyote swaps. It's advantage is it eliminates the second set of O2 sensors so you can run with no cats, and it also eliminates the ford coded ignition key setup. It also deletes the fuel pump driver so you have to run a return style fuel system with a regulator like the old pushrod 5.0 had. Modern cars use a returnless fuel system and the pump is driven as a Pulse width modulated setup. Also the control pack can not control the trans, so you either have to run a manual or a non electronic auto. Also the control pack is OBD 2 compliant, so you can flash the tune to your needs. The disadvantage is the tune in the control pack is setup for the stock 412 hp mustang coyote.

Painless wiring makes a stand alone trans controller for the 4r70/75 out of the 04-08 150's and it bolts up to the coyote block.

If you have to have a six speed auto, TCI has the 6X trans which uses the GM 6L80 and a controller and shifter and a bell housing to fit fords, gm, and some mopar blocks, but the 6X is about 7 grand.

#5 ·
Thanks, it'll come as useful info when the time comes. I knew the truck and car motors were similar and the cams and tune was different, but thought it was the intake that differed, not the CR. What made the CR different, gasket thickness, or chamber difference? I'll most likely go with the truck ECU & harness, as I plan to run the 6R80 truck trans for the better 1st gear...

SVT

#6 ·
It was my understanding the pistons are different. If you go with the factory ECU out of a 150, you can use the factory fuel pump and returnless fuel lines.

#7 ·
I can tune it for whatever type of fuel system I run, and it will be tuned. Most likely I'll be changing the pistons out for a set of forged pistons and rods as I plan to boost it with at least a stock M122. But I'll need the truck ECU so I can see the trans' functions baseline settings so I can tune it too. Maybe by next fall I can start building this setup [twothumbs]

SVT

#8 ·
You do know the mustang uses the same 6R80 trans as the truck, it just has the tailshaft and housing for 2wd. As far as I know the transfer case is stand alone and not controlled by the ECM so theoretically you could run either a mustang ECM or a truck ECM with the 4wd version of a truck 6r80. So basically run whatever ECM you can get your hands on.

In a perfect world with unlimited funds you could just get the 11:1 aluminator crate motor and run a stock automatic mustang ECM and tune with a 4wd truck 6R80 and it will run just like the factory mustang did.

Here drool and enjoy

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13113

and a good read on coyote swaps

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/tipsPDF/Hot_Rod_Coyote_Swap_Guide_reprint_July_2013.pdf

#9 ·
Yeah, but the truck will have the 4wd version I'll need, so less work I'll have to do. Plus the truck drivetrain is a lot cheaper on the takeout price than the mustang...

SVT

#10 ·
True but if you find a deal on a mustang setup, you can use it with a little work.

#12 ·
Today on Engine power they did a hellion twin turbo system on a bone stock Boss 302. After they bumped the boost up to 16 psi they put down 910 hp to the wheels, thru the stock clutch, trans, rear axle and tires.

After watching the install, I would bet they can do a similar setup on any coyote in any vehicle.

#13 ·
Thanks for spoiling it for all of hs that have to wait til tuesday to see the new episode! Lol, that sounds awesome, cant wait go see it. I was thinking of strapping an M122 or even a TVS to the coyote when I get one for my bronco. I was looking for about 750, but it sounds like 4 digit power wouldn't be difficult. Hmm, a 1,000 plus hp early bronco sounds badass!

SVT

#15 ·
I have just about every channel except that one. Im not that much of an addict detoxing from withdrawals to negate getting a bunch more channels and higher bill just for one channel. I can catch it on the other sports channel on tuesdays and thursdays, and on spike on sundays. On spike its a week later though. I try not to watch on spike just cause they dropped the ball on the show...

SVT

#16 ·
I'm in the same boat for Stacey david's gearz. It will cost me 10 extra a month to get MavTv, bundled with about 20 other useless channels. Not worth it when I can watch gearz on youtube for free.

#19 ·
I just read in the latest issue of muscle mustangs & fast fords that american racing headers is coming out with a line of coyote swap headers. Thought I would pass it on.

#20 ·
To swap into which models? Hopefully a Fox?

I'll need to see if I can get a copy of that.... is it the March issue?
I would think fox swap headers would be a given. It was the April issue, it was in the new parts at SEMA article.

#24 ·
If you get a catted x pipe with them your looking at around 1600, believe it or not, that's the going rate for a set of stainless long tubes.

#25 ·
Here's a little tidbit of info I just recently learned, since the 5.0 quad cam TiVCT engine was given the codename 'coyote' ford decided to give the 444 hp boss 302 variant the codename 'roadrunner'. The story I heard is because the coyote could never catch the roadrunner, so any engine that is faster and more powerful than the coyote has to be called the roadrunner. Makes sense.

#26 ·
Was thumbing thru the 2014 frpp catalog and in the engine history section they talk about the coyote engines and go into detail about the design. They also mention the differences between the stang version and the truck version. As per Ford, the truck version gets retuned to optimize fuel economy and torque, lower compression pistons, has different intake cams, and cast iron exhaust manifolds.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/catalogs/virtual/index.html#90-91

#27 ·
So I guess when I get my motor, I'll have to go into it to replace the pistons. Thats ok with me, since I can upgrade the pistons and rods to forged units to handle the boost it'll get from the supercharger that will replace the intake, lol. Gonna have to price it out, after pistons, rods, and cams, I might be better to just get a crate engine...

SVT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.