Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

The Mistress

45K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  orangehue 
#1 ·
So, I went and bought a pony to add to my stable...

True 98 cobra, 123k miles, long list of mods, including aftermarket K member, JLT cold air intake, drop springs, king clutch, aftermarket cable, subframe connectors, rear shock tower brace, dual 62mm BBK throttle body, Moroso coolant tank and power steering reservior, B&M shifter, catless exhaust with X pipe and prochamber mufflers. The bad, the previous owner was driving it and oil started mixing with the coolant, but no coolant in the oil. He thought he blew a head gasket, and was going to buy a motor from me. I ended up buying the car from him. I know its not the head gasket, and I researched a little about it. Turns out the oil cooler is known for leaking. I checked the cooler, and it looks like its leaking, but not sure if its leaking into the coolant. Another known issue is the freeze plug located behind the timing cover. I checked the oil, and with nothing on the stick, I changed the oil and filter. I drained only 1.5 quarts of oil. swapped the filter, dropped 5 quarts in, and it was reading slightly low on the stick. Started it up, and the oil dissappeared on the stick. It has a slight knock to it, and something is loose in the motor. So I'm going to pull it and install my mark 8 motor, and do a full rebuild on the cobra motor, which will go in SVT. The car itself is in pretty good shape. Since I'm back into the mustang world, and mustangs are a love of mine, this one is properly named, "The Mistress"...

SVT

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking Cobra.My 4.6 2v takes 6 quarts.Also if you plan on keeping it 30mm rear wheel spacers are nice to make it look better. Or 1 inch deeper rear rims see my picture at left.

#4 ·
The marks have 280\280 (290/290 in 97), the 98 cobra has 305/300 iirc, the difference being the intake cams and intake. I knew it took 6 quarts, but with only 1.5 quarts when i got it. Gonna delete the oil cooler as its known to leak, and i think mine is leaking at the block, possibly into the cooling system. Looking at headers, might wait on those, definitely gonna change the setup now, has no cats, but only 2.25" dual aluminized pipes with an X pipe, going into prochambers, with 2.25" tailpipes. Gonna step up to either 2.5" or 3" dual stainless steel pipes, single chamber flowmasters (possibly gibson or magnaflow stainless steel mufflers), and stainless 3.5" tailpipes...

SVT

#5 ·
As for the rims, I'm going to get new ones. The left rear has a bad curb rash that was possibly cracked as it was welded, the weld was never ground down, and besides, I want wider rims/rubber. Going to see if I can get 17x10's to fit on all four corners with a little bit of deep dish to them to bring them out a little...

SVT

#8 ·
Thanks, Tom. The outside is pretty clean, but there are imperfections here and there, thinking about painting it. The color scheme I have is one of only about 800, or so I'm told. If I don't keep it white, I'll try to get enough mystic to paint it that color...

SVT

#9 ·
ON mine the tan leather driverseat had a few blemishes and a rip.I found a mint pass. seat and removed the bottom and seat foam made a few holes and installed it on my driverseat frame. Came out perfect. On the cheap side also.Its hard to find mint seats for these

#10 ·
I've heard Mystic is a PITA to paint. Good luck if you do. I actually thought the number of 98's with Mystic was closer to 600, but I may be wrong.
AFAIK mystic was only on the 96 cobras for the SN-95 bodies. From what I've heard BASF was the only manufacturer of that paint back then and because some of the ingredients used to make that color changing pigment are listed as hazardous materials thru the Nuclear Regulatory Commission you had to have a special licence just to get the paint and had to return any unused portion so it can be destroyed. No wonder that color was a $1500 option back in 96.

#11 ·
Here's more pics I finally got around to taking. The dash and sound system...

The business...

I think I need to change the wires, what ya'll think?

Turns out I don't have coilovers, but you can see the tubular K member...

Subframe connectors...

Drilled and slotted rotors on all 4 corners...

And the reason why I need new rims....

I didn't take pics of the trunk, there's what looks like a homemade shock tower brace. Until I have the title in hand, I'm not going to rush swapping the motor in this, I'll do it as I have a break from the other projects...

SVT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.