Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Crossovers & SUVs > Ford Edge > Ford Edge Discussions

Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
SparkyPhantom
Cadet

Fan#: 4197
What I Drive: 2017 Black Edge Sport

SparkyPhantom Good Standing Member
2017 Edge Sport Volume Question?

We have the Sony sound system and it seems very quiet even with maxed volume. Is there a way to change that? If you have windows down on highway you can't hear it that clearly.

Thank you all!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue
Senior Pilot

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing Member
I've had several vehicles with the sony audio package and they are basically garbage. The sony adds more speakers and a sub, but they are all severely underpowered, less than 20 watts RMS per channel.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
SparkyPhantom
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
I've had several vehicles with the sony audio package and they are basically garbage. The sony adds more speakers and a sub, but they are all severely underpowered, less than 20 watts RMS per channel.
Would head unit and amp work fine, if main speakers were upgraded? I am used to the quality my 2011 BMW 335i has with the Harmon Kardon.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
I Bleed Ford Blue
Senior Pilot

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyPhantom View Post
Would head unit and amp work fine, if main speakers were upgraded? I am used to the quality my 2011 BMW 335i has with the Harmon Kardon.

Sorry for the delay in responding, a spam-bot took over the site and I had to wait until the mods cleaned it up.

Changing out the speakers is like putting lipstick on a pig, it really won't do much. The real problem is the sony amp and the way ford designed the entire system. The audio signal is sent to the sony amp thru the can-bus network so if you try to bypass it, the whole system does not work. That's problem 1. Problem 2, the amp itself. If you really want better sound, you need to put a line driver on the speaker output of the sony amp to convert the signal back down to a line level signal so you can feed your own amps of your choosing then onto your own speakers of your choice. Also if you plan on pushing 75 watts rms or more to each speaker you should upgrade the speaker wires, ford uses 18 ga wires and they tend to overheat if you push a lot of power thru them. good news is if you plan to do this, there is a 12v amp turn on lead going to the sony amp that you can splice into to trigger your own amps and line driver with. Oh and be prepared to spend some coin, I spent 3 grand when I did this to my truck, and I did the work myself.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
SparkyPhantom
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding, a spam-bot took over the site and I had to wait until the mods cleaned it up.

Changing out the speakers is like putting lipstick on a pig, it really won't do much. The real problem is the sony amp and the way ford designed the entire system. The audio signal is sent to the sony amp thru the can-bus network so if you try to bypass it, the whole system does not work. That's problem 1. Problem 2, the amp itself. If you really want better sound, you need to put a line driver on the speaker output of the sony amp to convert the signal back down to a line level signal so you can feed your own amps of your choosing then onto your own speakers of your choice. Also if you plan on pushing 75 watts rms or more to each speaker you should upgrade the speaker wires, ford uses 18 ga wires and they tend to overheat if you push a lot of power thru them. good news is if you plan to do this, there is a 12v amp turn on lead going to the sony amp that you can splice into to trigger your own amps and line driver with. Oh and be prepared to spend some coin, I spent 3 grand when I did this to my truck, and I did the work myself.
Thank you for the info. That really sucks lol. Was hoping a bit more from Ford.