Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Trucks > Ford F-Series > Ford F-Series Discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
My 97 F150 "Hoss"

I would like to introduce my daily driver for 95% of the year. When I'm not driving this, I'm driving the Mustang. I call it "Hoss" because it's the biggest truck I've ever owned.

Here is what Hoss has:

4.6 Liter Triton V8
4X4
4R70W Trans
3.55 Open Diff

I really don't have too many plans for mods unless something breaks. Then I will fix it with something better. If I have money to make upgrades, it usually winds up in the Mustang. Anyway, here it is:

And here's one without the shell:

This is my oil and oil filter of preference. I love this oil, and love Motorcraft filters. This includes a change for my F150, and my Escape

Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
white89gt
Administrator Shane

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Just recently I replaced the radiator and all associated hoses in it and snapped a couple of photos.

Here is why I replaced it. It's leaking from the crimped seal.

The replacement parts are a Ready-Rad radiator and Good Year hoses. I also used the Valvoline Max Life antifreeze.

This is how you remove the trans fittings. This took about 5 minutes. I was able to remove these from up top, as most of the job was done from up top. Luckily, I only had to get on the ground to drain the old radiator, and then I positioned my lower hose clamp to get at it from the drivers fender well.

This is how they install. The radiator came with fittings and new o-rings. The plan is to someday add an additional trans cooler (has an external factory unit already) and delete the radiator cooler. Until then though.....

This thing took 3 gallons of coolant to fill. I wish the radiator on my Stang was this big.

I busted my trans fitting wrench. Autozone warrantied it for me.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Over the summer I was going through the clearance items on Rock Auto. I got this set up for the brakes for about 70 bucks shipped.

Premium rotors and pads by Parts Plus (Raybestos)

Here the stuff installed:
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I was doing some reading on these things (in a quest for better mpg's) and came across a very interesting mod. The factory intake has a snorkel on it with a diameter of maybe 2 inches. The mod is to remove that restriction and add a 3 inch piece on there. So, I used a 3 inch rubber coupling, and a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe, about 3.5 inches long.

Here's the factory unit

Comparison with the new piece, you can see the extreme difference in size

I had to use about 1 inch of the factory snorkel to get a secure clamp, I failed to take a photo of it. But basically, I cut an inch off and it's under the clamp on the coupling.

I also had to taper the end of the PVC to fit it into the hole in the fender well

Showing the fit into the fender well

Project complete
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I just found my next mod. Tailgate assist. Not because I am lazy, but because my daughter keeps messing with the tailgate. That thing is heavy, and I don't want it to fall on her.

I am really pleased that these exist. Dee Zee makes a kit for it.

EDIT: Here is the kit I want.... (actually - it's similar, not exact)

And here's a link to the kit

Dee Zee DZ43203 Tailgate Assist : Amazon.com : Automotive Dee Zee DZ43203 Tailgate Assist : Amazon.com : Automotive

And here are the install instructions if anyone else is interested

http://www.realtruck.com/shared/pdf/...ions-43203.pdf
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
white89gt
Administrator Shane

The old 4R70W appears to be taking a dump on me. It first started last week when it shifted from 1st to 2nd and gave me a pretty big flare (300 rpm) considering I was driving in my neighborhood. Next shift was fine, and it that was the only time it produced that particular symptom. It's been eating gas pretty bad (11 mpg's on the last tank) and so I have been paying close attention to my driving habits, and the rpm's. It is acting like it's not going into lockup at freeway speeds. So, my initial reaction was the torque converter is the culprit. I called my buddy tonight, and he said it's doubtful it's the converter because it's not throwing a code. While I was on the phone with him, it flared the 2-3 shift. PISS. He said it is most likely my high band or clutch... can't remember what term he used.

SOOOOOOO, I guess he will be building it for me soon.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
I would do a fluid and filter change, as well as a Lucas tranny fluid additive, will buy you time while you save up for the rebuild cost. I also highly suggest installing an external filter (like I did on my Trac when I did my V8 swap)...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
white89gt
Administrator Shane

It has Lubegard Platinum in it (which he gave me). He and I do a lot of trade work. He'll give me a deal. Any idea what the going rate is for a 4R70W rebuild?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Depending on the company, it could be anywhere from 750-2k just for labor. The 4r70 can be tricky to rebuild, so make sure you get someone who knows them...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Just to add to this, my truck has completely quit doing all of these symptoms since the temperature has come back up. Apparently it didn't like the days we were below 10 degrees outside.

I was hoping for a decent weekend so I could rotate the tires, but "tut tut, looks like snow" - again. My wife bought me some new 6 ton jack stands for Christmas so I could do this. The 3 ton stands I have look puny under the F150 (and they don't reach).