Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Crossovers & SUVs > Ford Freestyle / Taurus X > Ford Freestyle / Taurus X Discussions

Unread 03-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
CARR142
Cadet

Fan#: 2714
What I Drive: 2011, kona blue, mkx

CARR142 Good Standing Member
Fuel Filter

Call me a fool.
'05 model owned about 8 months. It took 15 minutes to change the fuel filter as described above. Used my car ramps as they usually provide me with more room to move elbows. Pulled fuse under hood. Let it run out of fuel and die. Crawled under passenger side with new filter. I used two small screwdrivers but my pick set also came in handy in the end. Use LITTLE pressure and pick a little up on each side. Discovered that one of the white clips was possibly broken and reinstalled - thus the probable cause of my check engine code P0193? -Got the 'straight' end off first and caught fuel in small jar. Second side was easier. Old filter out. New one in.
The fuel line fit snug back on and I mistakenly thought that I could wait on replacing broken clip; I went weeks without problem but today it came back with a vengeance.
Wife calls in morning and says car smells bad of gas. She just filled up night before. $55. She went to appointment and one hour later calls me. Car is in middle of road, gas leaking, AAA has been called and - due to the fuel spill nature - police and fire dept. I'm on my way but not much I can do without the clip. I swing by NAPA (part #CK1100) and by the time I reach her, she is at the f-ord stealership in the waiting room. They haven't touched the car yet and - not very happily - allow me to go check it out. I find a cardboard box near the dumpster and crawl under. Yep. The clip is off by 1/2" and snaps back in place. Wife is RED if you know what I mean. "That little piece caused me to break down completely!?" Not easily satisfied - and without ANY fuel to restart - she wants them to "check it out anyway." There goes another $120. I'm sure that I got a coupon in the mail recently...
Best advice: USE NEW CLIPS ANYWAY in your replacement. They cost $7.99 for a small bag - i didn't count how many. But it would have been cheaper to do it in the long run.