Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Clutch issues

61K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  dizzycsasd9525 
#1 ·
So I have a 2012 Mustang V6. Daughter took it for a ride and by the smell was riding the clutch. Now the clutch doesn't work to get it home I put it in 1st gear with clutch on the floor and roll started it with the starter. Waited for it to cool down and still nothing.Want to youtube and learned to bleed the throw out bearing. VACUUM 20 LBS. for 1 minute release preasure. pump the clutch pedal 10-15 times repeat 3 times. Still nothing. What to do ? car has 44,000 miles and she wasn't driving more them 20 minutes. I think she was using 3rd gear instead of 1st to get going....

#3 ·
No fluid leaks I jacked it up and it looks like it should be easy to drop the trans exhaust runs wide and doesnt go under trans any where. Now its whats wrong My price for clutch and flywheel are $360.00 Throw out bearing around $240.00 form Ford. ARE Dormans good Rock auto has throw out bearing for like $92.00.Clutch kits are few and hard to find .Funny thing is I worked at LUK and we could get clutch kits cheap but LUK discontinued offering that program..

#5 ·
one thing is suck the master cylinder dry before you remove the line or your gonna have fluid dripping constantly/
better yet use a trick i do and get some surgical tubing. once the line is disconnected, slip the tubing over the end and raise it above the master cylinder. you don't drain the line and get air in it this way.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tip. Any advice on the shifter removel. I ve done 1993 and older. Funny thing my Cousin actual said in the past hed like a automatic. Probably be better to sell it and get a auto

#8 ·
Got it dropped today 3 hrs. All by myself. The disc has no friction mat'l left on it.I pulled the flywheel and dropped it at Napa to have it ground.I thought I was screwed because its a dual mass flywheel.Guy said most every one with trucks dump them for the old stlye. So might get it back together tomorrow if the clutch and throw out bearing show. On top of it my brother and I were going to drop it I was looking forward to that we haven't done any projects together in a while(he taught me so its super fast working with him) he starts driveshaft I'd do bell housing and work on opposite ends till 1 person job plus he can bench over 350 lbs so hes a human breaker bar and tranny jack .today his appendix burst so at 3 am Monday hes in surgery. Hes doing good now.

#10 ·
Hes doing better said that his appendix was petrified it burst some time in the past. He don't remember it ever hurting.So they got to clean the junk out so he has a drain connected.

#11 ·
So bad news 1 st you cannot get surgical tubing with out a prescription.I used a 3/8 plug like the ones that come on a fuel filter.
2. When you resurface a flywheel on a dual mass fly with a hydrolic throw out bearing you have to shim it the amount that was removed there is no adjustments for position clutch pedal might be the same for a standard flywheel.Napa guy told me this so I made some shims to compensate.
3. Spec clutch requires there flywheel... Not rocommends as Americanmuscle web site says.f###^&& So going to call Ford in the morning $350.00 my cost

#12 ·
Got the clutch from Ford today installed took about 1 1/2 I bought a trans jack from harbor freight the little red one. It was worth every penny. Got it together pretty easily bled the now throw out bearing all is good. Still smalls like burning clutch going to hydro spray it really well. I think I will post a step by step. I didnt take any pictures though.[woot]

#14 ·
When I called to Americanmuscle the lady taking the call recommended the ram hdx. I asked if I could use the factory flywheel.She said yes I looked it up on there web site and it said must us ram flywheel... The spec mind you recommended not required on there site .On CJpony part it said flywheel required with the Spec.

#16 ·
The throw out bearing from them I installed forget the name its 3 letters its the same as the factory one same 3 letters just that the factory on says Motorcraft and has a Ford part no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.