Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Fuel filter

43K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Neil Parsons 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here can tell me where the fuel filter is located. It's never been changed, and may (I hope) account for the poor drivability issues my father has been experiencing. Changing the spark plugs did not resolve the problem. In fact, he says it's getting worse, but only under a load or acceleration.

#3 ·
The problem is the car has a misfire under load. So far, I have changed the spark plugs and coil. Even though it does run better, the misfire is still there. I want to exhaust all my options before I check for a bad fuel pump (the cost of which seems astronomical). I know the fuel filter was never replaced. BTW, this is my dad's car.

#7 ·
Well, the MAF was changed, but apparently the new part was also bad. It was exchanged for the old part, and the codes were cleared. There is no code stored for the intermittent misfire. Is there a way to check for a bad fuel pump? Can the fuel pressure be tested? Shouldn't the pump throw a code if it is in fact going bad?

#8 ·
Don't know if the taurus has it or not but on the trucks they have a FPDM (fuel pump driver module) that would corrode and burn out causing a no run condition. But in my case it ran rough and would struggle above 3000 rpm, like a clogged filter or bad pump would do. And that happened in 2009 on a 2007 f 150. Ford started using the fdpm setup in 2004 on the trucks.

#12 ·
He's getting upset with mechanics because it isn't storing any codes, and it doesn't seem to do it when the mechanic has the car. I really don't know what to do with it. I can try the Seafoam thing, and also will change out the fuel filter. Beyond that, I have no ideas.

#13 ·
a/c problem in my 2000 taurus EFI 3.8 It blows cold when traveling for about 20 minutes then begins to taper off to hot and especially at idle. I've tried new serpintine belt, had a dye test for leaks, new air door motor, but it seems that something gets too hot. Is there a plug that might heat up or a fan that isn't doing its job...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.