Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Miscellaneous > Tech Tips

Old 03-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
How to install Ford Racing's A/C Delete Kit M-8511-A50

**DISCLAIMER** Neither I, nor Blue Oval Fanatics are responsible for any damages that may occur to your vehicle. Use these instructions at your own risk. Seek a professional mechanic if you lack the skills required to perform this modification.

As I searched the internet looking through the different kits available to eliminate my A/C, this kit really stood out. I wanted a factory look, and wanted it to be cost friendly. Seeing as how this kit contains the brackets the factory non-A/C cars came with, it was a perfect fit. In my search, I noticed that there was a complaint about the lack of instructions with the kit. Hopefully this can help someone. Here is the Ford Racing kit I got:

You will first want to have someone evacuate the cooling system if it has any freon (it is harmful to your skin and the environment). Mine has not had a charge in many moons, so I was lucky.

Remove the serpentine belt. Then remove the wiring harness and the two hose fittings I have circled. A flat blade screwdriver is handy on the harness, and I just used a medium sized Crescent on the fittings.

Next, there are five bolts that hold the compressor in place, all of them are 13mm. It is difficult to see them (and take photos) while they are in place. It is much easier to see the locations of each with the compressor removed. I circled where all five of them reside:

Next, take the front plate and P/S pump off. I circled the three nuts (two of them need to be reused, so don't lose them) and two bolts that need removed. The yellow circles signify a deep socket 9/16 needed, and the red circle signifies an 11/16" deep socket. I suggest taking the red one out last. Be careful when you remove it because the power steering pump will drop. It can rest peacefully on the lower radiator hose as long as you keep the reservoir up:

One more bolt needs to be removed prior to the installation process. This holds on the bracket, which is also no longer needed. I circled the bolt, and it is a 9/16" head:

OK, next you need to get the new bracket installed that bolts to the cylinder head. It requires three bolts and lock washers, included in the kit. They are 9/16" head bolts, and I have circled their locations below:

This next step, my phone did not save the photo. It is marked as "1st" in the pic below - note the orientation of the bracket, the "bump" goes on the top, and towards the motor. This step is where you reuse two nuts (9/16") from the previous bracket. After those are in - begin the step labeled "2nd" in the photo. For this, you'll need to put the pump in it's new home and slide the top bolt in and get some threads started. Same thing on the bottom pump bolt. These are also a 9/16" head bolts:

And here it is, final product:

Last edited by white89gt; 03-29-2013 at 09:42 AM.