Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Paint on edge of bumper

25K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  erika1948 
#1 ·
Hi, you have all been so good to me answering my concerns, I am here again with another issue. Background is that I bought a new Ford Fiesta on June 10- I have an ongoing problem with the audio display dimming which Ford has no fix for. I developed bubbles in the rear driver's side passenger window which they did address and replaced the window. I got my first paint chip a couple of weeks ago near the rear door on the driver's side and also noticed something like a maple wing sticking out in the edge of the front driver's side bumper. I pulled it out and it was a paint chip. This revealed a black mark on the edge of the bumper. I called the dealer and they said to bring it up. I bought touch up paint and they painted the chipped area in the rear area which they said looked like it had been hit with something. I was ok with that because I realize you are always going to get chips, although this chip went inside the car which was weird as no one has sat back there. The tech looked at the area on the edge of the front bumper, ran his fingernal through it (which made it worse) and said he thought it was glue. I went home that night, washed the area and more paint came off, leaving a black area which was large enough to be noticeable so I touched it up myself. Now two weeks later, it looks like the same thing is happening farther up on the bumper edge. I took it to the dealer and he said I had done a good job touching up (did I want a part time job?) and said the other area was tiny and to leave it. I tried to attach pictures but I'm not sure if it worked. I just want to know if anyone knows if the Fiesta bumpers are made of rubber which would mean that is what I was seeing that was black, and is this something that needs to be addressed or am I being overly critical. It looks like there is a paint chip wedged above where I did the touch up. The car doesn't even have 700 miles on it. What is interesting is that the shape of the original chip I found wedged in the front almost matches the chip on the rear door area so at first I thought maybe that blew off and got wedged in there somehow. Any thoughts appreciated. I am tired to going to the dealer and am beginning to think maybe I expect too much.[nopity] Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Erika, it sounds like the bumper wasn't prepped well enough before painting, or something got on the surface prior to paint. The bumper should be made of urethane, which is a variety of colors, one of which is black...

SVT

#3 ·
Thanks, I don't know what to do about this or anything else anymore. I have a car with a defective audio display which Ford does not seem to want to do anything about and now this which seems insignificant to the service department. None of this is the dealer's fault - this is Ford's responsibility. Not sure if I should now speak with the dealership manager or call Ford again or get in touch with an attorney. Sad thing is that I like the car but the one I got seems to have a string of problems you would not expect with a brand new car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.