Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Mustang > 5.0L (2011-Current)

Unread 02-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #21
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
Yesterday after the headers arrived, the bolts that came with them were 10mm x 1.25, so I pulled a stud out and checked it and sure enough, they are 1.25's. The info I got from summit racing is that the 1.25's were discontinued in 2011 and all coyotes since have the 1.50's. Well today I went down to summit and bought a set of stage 8 locking header bolts in the 1.25's to fit my car and I informed the counter guy that the info on their site is wrong. When I got home, I also fired off an e-mail to stage 8 to let them know so they can update their database. I also asked if they could produce a set of locking header nuts so we could reuse the factory stainless studs. I got a reply from them, here it is.

Hello Mike,

Updating the 5.0 Coyote exhaust bolt thread pitch has been a long running joke for some time now, for a lot of companies. Ford changed the thread pitch back and forth several times and we were all told the the final thread pitch would be M10-1.50. You can attest that's not the case. Many header companies put two sets of bolts in their headers so they cover both.

We have Locking Nuts, we just don't make a header nut kit for the 5.0 but all you need to do is call and ask for them. We don't offer a nut kit because most people want to use bolts. Studs can still come loose even if they have a Locking Nut, the stud can still unscrew from the head. Using a bolt eliminates that.

Thanks for the suggestions though I'm always keen to hear new ideas.

Regards,
Glenn Thompson
Stage 8 Locking Fasteners

After reading their reply, it now makes sense why they state on their site that all coyote owners should double check what thread they have before ordering.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Unread 02-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #22
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
Finally got them installed, did not use the lock clips. I could barely get my big bear paw hands in there to just get the bolts in. Half of them I had to install by feel because i couldn't see them so there was no way I could put on the clips.
Unread 02-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #23
I Bleed Ford Blue

While I was installing my headers, I found the vin stamp on the engine. It's located on the drivers side rear right above the pan rail on a machined pad. It has the last 8 characters from the vin stamped into it. Good info to know if your looking at a used S-550 and want to know if it still has the original engine, or if you need to prove originality before a sale or auction.
Unread 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #24
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
That is awesome. So did everything line up well? Sometimes headers don't exactly fit as well as you'd like.
Unread 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #25
I Bleed Ford Blue

Yeah, it lined up well, but it was tight. Going from a smaller primary tube to a large 1 7/8ths primary made it rather difficult. Some of the bolts I had to install by feel because I couldn't see the bolt holes at all. The advantage is that if I had a problem, stainless works is actually closer to me than summit racing. I chose them because they are local.

Yesterday I bought a few smaller items, a pre painted gas door that has the running horse logo embossed in it.

I also bought a set of hood struts to eliminate the prop rod, and I bought a washable air filter designed to fit my ford racing power pack setup.

Last edited by I Bleed Ford Blue; 03-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Unread 05-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
I Bleed Ford Blue

Last year I found a local company, that does dyno tunes and installs on old school engines as well as the new stuff. They do everything from intake swaps and 4 bbl upgrades to turbo and supercharger installs. Anyway, I have an appointment on June 21st to get my car dyno tuned and to get rid of the code from the header install. I'm hoping for 425 at the tire, that would equate to 500 at the crank. The power pack I have is only rated for 21 rwhp on 91 octane, but all the other aftermarket CAI's that are big enough to require a tune claim 33-36 rwhp. So I figure ford ford left about 20-25 crank hp on the table as I also have an 87 mm throttle body and I run 93 octane. Throw in the long tube headers and high flow cats, the resonator delete/x-pipe and ford racing mufflers. I'm about 95% sure I'll exceed 400 at the tire, I'm hoping for 425. I would love to say I have 500 hp all motor.
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:18 AM   #27
carljak
Cadet

Fan#: 2639
What I Drive: F-150

carljak Good Standing Member
Nice performance upgrades you got there. Keep us posted.
Unread 05-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #28
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
Last year I found a local company, that does dyno tunes and installs on old school engines as well as the new stuff. They do everything from intake swaps and 4 bbl upgrades to turbo and supercharger installs. Anyway, I have an appointment on June 21st to get my car dyno tuned and to get rid of the code from the header install. I'm hoping for 425 at the tire, that would equate to 500 at the crank. The power pack I have is only rated for 21 rwhp on 91 octane, but all the other aftermarket CAI's that are big enough to require a tune claim 33-36 rwhp. So I figure ford ford left about 20-25 crank hp on the table as I also have an 87 mm throttle body and I run 93 octane. Throw in the long tube headers and high flow cats, the resonator delete/x-pipe and ford racing mufflers. I'm about 95% sure I'll exceed 400 at the tire, I'm hoping for 425. I would love to say I have 500 hp all motor.
Very, very cool. I am looking forward to hearing what happens!
Unread 06-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #29
I Bleed Ford Blue

Well today was the dyno day. It was 93 degrees and high humidity and they got 425.8 hp and 380.4 tq at the wheels on a mustang dyno. So I actually have 501 at the crank.

Last edited by I Bleed Ford Blue; 06-18-2018 at 09:40 PM.