Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Taurus > 2.5L, 3.0L & 3.8L (1986-2007)

Unread 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004taurus View Post
plugs don't need changing until 100,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004taurus View Post
Don't know the exact mileage, but it's well over 100,000.
I'm confused on the mileage......

Any chance this has a K&N filter or similar type?
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
2004taurus
Cadet

Fan#: 2445
What I Drive: 2004 Red Ford Taurus

2004taurus Good Standing Member
Well, I do know that it has 105,000+ miles on it. I just changed the plugs today, and the wires were changed a few weeks ago. I was hopeful that changing out the plugs would solve the problem, but unfortunately that was not the case. According to dad, it was fine for almost an hour, then it began the slight misfire again. At this point, could it be the coil? I don't know what else to replace. The plugs were shot, with the gap being at least twice what the factory calls for. I'm guessing they were the factory plugs by the way they looked.

Anyway, besides the coil, what are my options?

As for the K&N filter, it does not have that.
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Cause of the extended distance on the plugs, there is a possibility one of the coils is breaking down once it warms up. If its misfiring, the ECU should at least store it if not throw a CEL. If you get a chance, test drive the car yourself. Do several full throttle/hard acceleration drives, both from stop and from low speed to highway speed. Putting the engine under a load will cause a misfire under the conditions it is operating under. If it misfires several times in a few seconds, this will actually be good and what you want it to do. Afterwards, go to AutoZone and have the codes run. If its not a random misfire and its the same plug misfiring, pull that coil pack and have AutoZone test it. Make sure they do at least 4 back to back tests to simulate the coil heating up to cause it to break down, if it will...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
2004taurus
Cadet

This car has a single coil, located on the valve cover, with 6 spark plug terminals. So, I'm assuming that coil will have to be replaced. Is there a test for that?
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
I wasn't sure if it had a single coil or multiple coils. If its a single coil, is it the 6 post coil, or single post coil with a dizzy? If its a 6 post coil, they're not known for going bad, they're actually very reliable. I'd still do the same driving test. Was the plugs replaced with the same type (double platinum, Iridium, etc)?

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
And that coil pack actually only has 3 coils in it, so if one did take a dump you would have more than a slight miss. One thing I have experienced a few times is a bad connection with the connection between the coil pack and the wire. Take each wire out and check for corrosion inside. The other thing I've experienced is poor quality wires. I even once got a bad set of Bosch wires. I strongly suggest you use Motorcaft wires with the coil pack type system. They are much higher quality.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
2004taurus
Cadet

My dad bought the wires, so I'm not sure what make they are. I can say that they are 8mm suppression wires. My brother-in-law installed them. The plugs were platinum plugs, and were replaced with NGK's of the same type, according to the conversion chart.

Since the plugs were in such bad shape, could they have effected the coil? I've heard that if the coil gets stressed (for lack of a better term) from the old plugs, that it will overwork the coil, and cause it to fail.
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

That is possible, which is why I suggested the vehicle stress test and then check the codes...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

That is possible, which is why I suggested the vehicle stress test and then check the codes...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
2004taurus
Cadet

I will get with my dad and see if he has done this. If not, I will tell him to do so and get back to you with the results.