Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

Megan Coilover installation for 2008-2012 Taurus

30K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  4DRHTRD 
#1 ·
This is a Flex but the coilovers fit the Taurus as well for 2008-2012
I received my coilovers last week in this pretty box :)

Front Strut:

Rear shock:

Factory rear shock spring setup:

Rear install instructions:
Remove the end link here:

Remove lower shock and control arm bolts:

Factory spring vs Megan adjustable height spring:

Reinstall Megan spring and adjust with adjust side up, make sure to reuse the factory rubber pads:

Remove the stock upper bolt, in the Flex it's underneath these cubbies. To remove the cubby remove the 4 screws then lift the front of it up while spinning the rear out from under the lip in the back. It took is a couple of minutes to figure out how to get that done.

Remove the nut under the flaps:

Remove the factory rubber from the top nut

Re-use the factory ruber and install on the shock, the bottom rubber goes under the car, the top rubber then is installed from the top of the car with the nut and washer.

Reinstall the factory bolt and utilize the new nut supplied from Megan. For my car the nut was not the same size as the factory bolt so I had to go pick up a new one, we did not get the size of the nut but I will inform Megan so they know.

Completely installed rear:

Front strut time!

OK I didn't get a picture of the front dissembly but it was not fun at all. The left side we tried to just force down the front suspension once the strut was unbolted, eventually it worked but not a clean way.

Correct way:
Remove axle nut
Remove control arm to spidle nut
Remove control arm to steering linkage
Remove spindle to strut bolt in the rear.
To make the whole assembly lighter, remove the brake caliper from the spindle, now pull down on A arm and pull the spindle off of the axle and the bottom of the strut.
Remove 4 nuts holding stock strut.
Install Megan coilover into the spindle and reinstall the spindle on the car.
Push Megan coilover up through the top holes and install new nuts.

For my car the Megan hole for the factory sway bar linkage was too small, we had to drill it out with a 9/16 bit. - I will inform them of this, either bigger hole or supply a new bolt that fits.

Remove the sway bar end link from the strut.

Factory strut vs Megan coilover:

This is how the car sat on 17" wheels with 26" tall tires, The rear was adjusted all the way up to make as much of rake as possible. I'll post up pictures of the car on 20's with 255/45/20 this week.

Car sitting on the trailer:

See less See more
#3 ·
Initial review of the coilovers?
One word, AWESOME!
One million percent better than stock or the H&R's. The car corners flat as a board, absorbs all of the bumps that would cause the H&R to "see saw" and just ride awesome. I haven't really done anything other than adjust the ride height and set to 5 clicks stiffer from full soft. I have more adjustments to make and I think I can get it much better, need to play with shock adjustments and coil preload.

Couple of videos after getting the 20's back on and the height adjusted. This is all the way down for the fronts, rear could drop another 2" or so.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IJNKM6zlA"]Ford Flex on Megan Coilovers - first drive. - YouTube[/nomedia]
This video is riding on the Megans and testing the aux fuel system activation and cutout
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hFtOEfRC6c"]Ford Flex Megan coilover ride around along with demonstration of cutout and E85 fuel system - YouTube[/nomedia]

I need to take another video of an onramp that is a 270 degree 25mph ramp. The car was completely flat and wanted to corner at 50MPH without even flinching, AMAZING!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.