Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Taurus > Ford Taurus Discussions

Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Missi
Cadet

Fan#: 4458
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Ford Taurus

Missi Good Standing Member
2007 Ford Taurus won't start regularly

I had a bad selenoid on my sisters starter (and apparently loose battery cables) and I had to push it a few more weeks before I was able to replace the starter. Well I replaced it on Saturday evening, and had to jump the car to initially start it. After that things seemed fine, but today I tried to start it and the starter kicked in but the car took a while to start. I don't know if I got a bad starter, or could having started it so much with a bad one damaged my battery (or did the battery cause starter damage). Any suggestions on where to look from here for why it won't start would be appreciated.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Old 10-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Missi
Cadet

Oh and additional point to note, if it's been driven recently it starts right up. But sitting over several hours and it struggles again.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
I'd guess that your battery is going bad on you, based on your description. Most auto part stores can do a battery health test.... and I've found this test to only be accurate when the vehicle is not hooked to the vehicle, FYI.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Missi
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by white89gt View Post
I'd guess that your battery is going bad on you, based on your description. Most auto part stores can do a battery health test.... and I've found this test to only be accurate when the vehicle is not hooked to the vehicle, FYI.
So I took it to an auto store and they tested my battery and alternator said all seemed fine. Battery is a "touch off" but reading within "normal ranges" this was with driving it 45 min to the nearest store. Are you saying I should take the battery out and drove my car to the store and just test the battery?

Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Not necessarily take it out physically, but just unhook it from the car (take the battery cables off).