Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

2005 Will Not Start

28K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  CARR142 
#1 ·
2005 2wd Freestyle won't start. I have been through the Ford Service manual and have troubleshot it down to the Starter Motor Relay. It is #56 in the Power Distribution Box under the hood. Everything checks out on the relay except the ground to activate the relay. I did put a jumper wire on it and connected to a good ground. The car started with the key proving that the ground is amiss. (I can get the car to start (and the wife's been driving it this way) with a jumper wire on the starter solenoid that I momentarily connect to +12 v. With the key ON, the car will start and run fine. She's getting a little tired of this, however.).

According to the Ford Service manual, the ground for the relay is supplied by the PCM (power control module). My Ford Service manual will not bring up the wiring schematic for some reason (tried several computers, yada yada), so I'm not 100% sure, but I believe, based on the text elsewhere that the Transmission Range Sensor most likely has input into whether the PCM will supply ground to the Starter Motor Relay or not.

My Three Most Likely Culprits:

1-Flakey PCM that is not supplying ground because of some type of intermittent connection/cold solder joint/other issue

2-Flakey Transmission Range Sensor

3-Flakey Transmission Control Module

My Questions:

I cannot find the Transmission Range Sensor. The Ford Service manual describes it, shows a drawing of it, but fails to mention where it is. I have been all over the engine compartment and cannot find it.

1-where is it?!? And, how do you test it?

The Ford Service manual also made reference to the "transmission control module (TCM)." It said:
= = = = =
The transmission control module controls (TCM) transaxle function. It is the transaxle-to-vehicle-system interface. Also supplies the signal to the powertrain control module (PCM) for starter interlock. Diagnostic trouble codes that are transaxle-related are supplied to the PCM, ABS and all wheel drive (AWD) modules from the TCM. The transmission fluid temperature sensor is built into the TCM.
= = = = =
The TCM apparently lives in the CVT pan according to the manual.

2-how does one test the TCM?

There are no DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) being logged. Oh, also, the car will start normally on the first start of the day (everything is cold cold, so to speak). After that, you have to use the jumper wire to the solenoid. If you let it sit for 2, 3, 4 hours, it still will not start with the key. The car has 122,000 on it, and this just started happening.

TIA, JC

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.