Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Mustang > Technical Discussions

Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Vanquished
Cadet

Fan#: 2837
What I Drive: 2013 Charger R/T Plus

Vanquished Good Standing Member
Where to wire interior lights?

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where to wire interior leds on a 2013 mustang GT?
It doesn't have ambient lighting pre-installed.
We'd want to wire it to the footwells and maybe also do the door sills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
This is a good question for GreenEnvy.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
GreenEnvy
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 1275
What I Drive: 13 stang

GreenEnvy Excellent Standing Member
someone call? lol

the interior fuse and junction box is behind the passenger kick panel. but, you cant use an addafuse there unless you leave the cover off, do some trimming and figure out how to run a wire.
your best recourse is to simply tap them into the dome light wire which runs down the passenger side pillar to the box.
I cant remember the correct wire color off hand but will look at mine. there are two hots running to it. ones powered all the time, the other is wired with the doors so the light goes on/off with them.
you can actually pull the dome light and find out which, a word of warning, have the car running when you test or youll bat your head on the dash trying to figure why you have no power anywhere there. this circuit is on the battery saver circuit and will time out after a bit. you want the wire that the power fades (the bulb goes out).
take that color and remember it.
now empty your glove box and squees the sides so it drops. you should see a small wire loom that comes out of a body panel hole. open that, find your wire, and tap it.

leds are low watage so no problems doing it this way when only putting a few in.

the wiring on these cars is a head scratcher at times...
Old 11-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
Bechtold
Cadet

Fan#: 3728
What I Drive: 2009 Black Ford Mustang

Bechtold Good Standing Member
Dome light is certainly a good spurce to wire the interior LEDs. As an alternative you can wire it to the fuse box and install a switch or two so you could be able to turn on the foot well LEDs and door sills, such LED lights would work well for the underseat mounting https://www.carid.com/xkglow/xkglow-...-95338298.html You can attach them either with brackets or with doublesided 3M tape. This is a pretty convenient way to do it because yo may not want to have LEDs on all the time and simply turn them on whenever you want to show off.

Last edited by Bechtold; 12-05-2016 at 04:58 AM.