Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Trucks > Ford Ranger & Bronco II > Ford Ranger Discussions

Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
smccaffrey
Cadet

Fan#: 4421
What I Drive: 1986 Blue Ford Ranger

smccaffrey Good Standing Member
fuel issues

Hey All,

I am new to the group here.

Picked up a 1986 Ford Ranger for cheap and am trying to get it started. I bought it as a project truck. I am not much of a mechanic so I am using a few neighbors and the web to get some ideas. It cranks and will start with starter fluid. I don't think fuel is getting to injectors. I pressed the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail and just a drop of fuel came out then it was dry. I replaced the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump, and wired the inertia switch wires together. Still did not start. I bought a fuel filter and have since realized I have a fuel reservoir assembly, with the filter likely inside. I have a few options and there may be more. Replace the fuel reservoir assembly with one that contains a filter (more expensive), one that does not contain a filter (less expensive), take apart the existing assembly and replace the O ring and filter. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, also any mods that would make more sense. I would love to get this truck running. Trying to figure out what to test next. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Does it have the inline pump? I thought this was a Bronco II only thing. First thing to check would be the fuel filter. Then the pump. Remove the filter and turn the key forward. You should see gas come out. If not, you have issues with the new pump or wiring. If gas does come out you need a new filter.

Did you by chance check the wiring harness? Check to see if it has 12 volts and a GOOD ground?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
smccaffrey
Cadet

fuel issues

It has an inline pump and a booster pump in the tank. I am thinking the relay I installed is not working as I hear no clicking. Also, the 2 wires that connect to the fuel pump, I tested the voltage and it was 0. I would think I would get the battery voltage at that point. I would suspect once the key is turned on with the
relay working I might get a slight lowering of voltage. I think I need to rewire the relay and wiring harness. Can I run a direct connect from the battery to the fuel pump to make sure the pump works which would also identify that the relay is not working properly.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
As a temporary testing measure, yes.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
smccaffrey
Cadet

fuel issues

Since I had to splice the new fuel pump harness would it be better to go from the battery to the 2 primary wires of the harness bundle or just direct connect as I mentioned before.