Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Trucks > Ford F-Series > 4.6L & 5.4L (19972010)

Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Fan#: 20
What I Drive: 13 Tangerine Scream ST2,12 RAM 2500

Gonefhsn Great Standing Member
Getting Close to 100K.

Any of you 5.4 owners changed out the plugs yet and how big of a pain are they?

Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
They can be a pain, the longer you wait, the worse they are. My advise is to partially fill the holes with WD40 or PB blaster, let em soak for 5 minutes, then slowly break em loose. The WD40/pb blaster is flammable, so it won't hurt the cylinders if they leak down in there...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Thanks man had not thought about doing that. I am just not looking forward to it. It one of those things that I have been wrenching for years and I hate working on my own stuff now...lol
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Btw, make sure to put antiseize on the new plugs...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

that is an always.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2342
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

2010SVT Good Standing Member
My 5.4 has 231000 miles on it and its probably about due new plugs. I know I havent changed them since I had the truck. Except for 1 lol. It got changed a while back when I dropped a coil pack. Which by the way I'm still on 5 of my original coil packs. Dont know if thats something to brag about or if I need to change them asap. I figure just run them until they go out and soon I should have all new ones.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, race exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SVT View Post
My 5.4 has 231000 miles on it and its probably about due new plugs. I know I havent changed them since I had the truck. Except for 1 lol. It got changed a while back when I dropped a coil pack. Which by the way I'm still on 5 of my original coil packs. Dont know if thats something to brag about or if I need to change them asap. I figure just run them until they go out and soon I should have all new ones.
The breaking plugs issue was only on the 3v 5.4's from 04-early 08. from mid 08-on ford redesigned the heads and plugs therefor solving the issue.

BTW the 4.6 3v used in the mustangs and explorers had the same problem.

On a side note, tech's at the dealership have had good success with using an cordless 1/4" or 3/8" impact. Just blow out the plug well with air and use a socket and cordless impact and let er rip. For some reason the 1/4" or 3/8" impact has enough tq to get the plugs out before they seize and break but not enough tq to strip the threads in the head.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded