Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Fusion > Ford Fusion Discussions

Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
NE Boxster
Cadet

Fan#: 2099
What I Drive: '13 Fusion Titanium; '11 Taurus Ltd

NE Boxster Good Standing Member
2013 Fusion front license plate holder removal

It took all of 9 days of owning the car: I removed the front plate holder from my 2013 Fusion Titanium today.

The holder was riveted on with large headed aluminum rivets. I'd purchased a variety of plastic plugs at an Ace Hardware prior to starting as I wasn't sure what size would work and they were inexpensive, and prepped them by sanding (I used 1000 grit, but you could probably use something a bit coarser), spraying with (in order) Adhesion Promoter, Sandable Primer, Touch Up Paint, and Clearcoat. (I stuck the plugs in an old sheet of corrugated board, which made painting them easier.)

Then I drilled out the aluminum rivets with a 1/4" bit, cleaned up the surrounding area, and figured out which set of plugs would work best.

Whole thing took maybe 45 minutes or so. Looks great... I just hope the local cops agree!!! Worst case, I have to put it back on. My Porsche doesn't have a front plate and I've never been pulled over, despite the fact that I've driven by police officers numerous times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate 1b.jpg (100.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg plate 2.jpg (93.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg plate 3.jpg (95.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by NE Boxster; 07-08-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Adamdv5
Adam

Fan#: 1135
What I Drive: Mk3 Sonic Blueauty

Adamdv5 Good Standing Member
Looks much better. They'll just assume it's an Aston and just give you a good old thumbs up lol
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
NE Boxster
Cadet

Drove by a Sheriff's car today (he was stopped at a side street) and for what it's worth, he didn't come after me.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
I got pulled over and got a ticket for no front plate on my Mustang by West Valley Police (who is coincedentally currently being invesigated by the FBI for corruption). These were bike cops who were standing in the street, only giving plate violation tickets, because they had no radars in their hands. While I was pulled over I counted 5 cars that went by with no front plate, and the other cop was not stopping them. I went and fought it and the judge told me just to pay a reduced fine and we would call it good.

I felt like I was in Hazzard County. Just trying to drum up revenue with bogus tickets. I was surprised to return to my car and find Roscoe hadn't placed a rubber fire hydrant next to my car.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
NE Boxster
Cadet

I just ordered one of those motorized "Show and Go" license plate holders...