Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Mustang > 5.0L (1979-1995)

Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #431
I Bleed Ford Blue
Senior Pilot

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by white89gt View Post
Upon further review, the change actually took place in 96 rather than 99. Either way, it did change. If you look where the tie rod attaches, you will notice that the 94/95 knuckle in the background takes a jaunt upwards before going out, and the 98-04 goes straight out. This is the main difference I was referring to.

Interesting, I did not know they changed the steering geometry midstream during the sn-95 production.

If I were you, I would take some measurements on your car and use the knuckle that gets you closest to zero bump steer, and then throw on a bump steer eliminator kit to get it just right. You would be amazed at how well the car will handle if you just fix the few handling flaws that ford built into the car on purpose.

The other major flaw is the rear suspension setup, the factory four link tends to bind with stronger upper and lower arms with poly bushing. The upper triangulated arms are not meant to have stiff bushing in them, you need a certain amount of give or it will bind, that's why the factory bushing are rather soft. If you just ditch the quad shocks, upgrade the rear lower arms to stronger tubular ones with poly bushings, and get rid of the uppers and convert it to a torque arm system, and add either a watts link or a panhard bar, you will fix the problem and the car will handle like a third gen F body.

Back in 90 when I was out in San Diego there was I guy I knew who had an 87 GT who had it track prepped for SCCA and he did the torque arm conversion and fixed the bump steer. I got to drive it and the difference between his and mine was night and day. I had an 89 GT that was white with the lower in gray with a blue stripe on the beltline and gray interior.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #432
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
I'll probably get this kit from Maximum Motorsports. It has tons of adjustment in it.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Bu...tyle-P448.aspx

I'll have to think on the rear end. I haven't put much thought into it. It actually hooks pretty decent, so I've never messed with it.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #433
white89gt
Administrator Shane

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
I got these hoses today. Not real happy about their country of origin. These will likely get Ebay'd off. I want USA hoses.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #434
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Probably why they were on clearance, lol. At least you'll make some money off the chinese...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Old 05-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #435
white89gt
Administrator Shane

^^^ This task of finding USA hoses may prove to be more difficult than I had anticipated. So far no luck.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #436
white89gt
Administrator Shane

I gave her a little shake down today. Can't wait to get it registered!

Rev it up! 89 edition - YouTube
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #437
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Got the Stang out for a little gallop through the canyon on Saturday. She loves to get out and run.....