Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Mustang > 3.7L (2011-Current)

Unread 09-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
autolite
Senior Pilot

Fan#: 1468
What I Drive: 1998 Black Mustang GT

autolite Excellent Standing Memberautolite Excellent Standing Member
2012 V6 clutch replacement

2012 Mustang V6 clutch replacement.
1. remove neg. on battery
2.remove shift knob turn ccw
3.Inside care pull up on the cup holders to unsnap center console.
4.remove insulation around shift boot.
5.push shifter boot loose from floor.you do not need to remove shifter.
6.drive shaft bolts 4 on trans and 4 on rear end 12mm 12 point socket needed.
7.2 shifter nuts at reat of shifter under car. 10mm deep well socket
8.starter bolts 2. 13mm deep well socket
9.2 bell housing bolts by started threaded in to bell housing..the other 6 bolt into the engine. 8 total
10.I removed the cross bar under bell housing 4 bolts I think 18mm wrench and socket
11.Cross member I removed dropped trans down all it would drop.
12.Disconnect the wiring from trans 3 connector into the trans.3 plugs to disconnect.
13.remove pass side 02 sensor
14.remove hydraulic clutch line has a wire clip small screw driver pull out line will pull out I put a 3/8 rubber plug on line to stop the fluid leaking out.
06 Harley Ultra Classic
2008 Focus SE

Last edited by autolite; 01-01-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Unread 09-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
autolite
Senior Pilot

15.I jacked trans all the way up against floor. To get at top bell housing bolts 2 of them have wire connectors on them.pull back they disconnect easily.these two bolts need a 13mm deepwell socket.2 more bolts to get out from top.
16.install trans jack two bolts on driver side and your loose.
17.pull back on trans to get the input shaft clear if pressure plate.drop front of trans down and pull it forward till tail of trans clears the exhaust.
18.TIP. if reusing current flywheel what ever is machined off you must shim out flywheel or throw out bearing.no adjustment for clutch pedal height or about
19.With flywheel off there is a like tone ring. be careful not to turn it I watched a youtube clip that a guy had a misfire after doing his clutch change might be he indexed ring.
20.spec stage 1 clutch will not bolt to factory flywheel.
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Good info! Do you have any pics that could accompany your tutorial?
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
autolite
Senior Pilot

No pictures I didn't even think about it. Also for bleeding the throw out bearing. I still kept the front of the car in the air and pumped the clutch pedal till the pedal felt good and equal pressure feeling the travel of the pedal. Seen also on youtube to take a vacuum pump put a plug on the end to seal it on the master cylinder (I bought a utility tub stopper it fits perfectly) the off white with the metal ring. Bring pump up to 20 psi. wait 1 minute then release the pressure and pump the clutch pedal 10-15 times repeat 3 times.
06 Harley Ultra Classic
2008 Focus SE