Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > General Car Discussions > General Autombile News - Non Ford Related

Old 06-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #11
webbrowan
Cadet

Fan#: 3572
What I Drive: o

webbrowan Good Standing Member
Some models listed on this list are actually not that bad except for some which deserve to be on this list. The Cadillac XLR is one example which is in my opinion, does not fit the price tag being tagged onto it looking at its physicality and performance wise. http://financesmarter.com.au/about/
Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
scotman
Pilot

Fan#: 1495
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE, 5dr

scotman Good Standing Member
Ford openly stated that the Thunderbird was limited production.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolite View Post
Will I kind of disagree I think the American cars on the list where nice except the Thunderbird I don't think they did the best design.I always thought wait for the next body change and Ford would get it right.Will it never happened I would like to have one still or a 1957 would be nice also.
In fact, when it was revealed, a Ford P.R. person actually stood on a podium in front of print media and said that "many people would not be able to get one"! If Ford had intended to get volume sales that car would have been available in a steel, fixed roof version at a lower cost. That was never in the plan. Most people feel that Ford delivered the "modern 2 seat cruiser"that had been sought by many for years.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
autolite
Senior Pilot

Fan#: 1468
What I Drive: 1998 Black Mustang GT

autolite Excellent Standing Memberautolite Excellent Standing Member
I liked them wish they would have planed to make them longer then I think 2 yrs. I think if they stood the headlights up with the 50's eye brow,A little tail fin they would have been so much more better looking. I also remember they were going to make a 2 door conv. Marauder I think around 1999.I was thinking my Bronco is paid off I would have bought one for sure.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/mer...ept-auto-shows
06 Harley Ultra Classic
2008 Focus SE
Old 06-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #14
scotman
Pilot

The Marauder convertible was in 2002...

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolite View Post
I liked them wish they would have planed to make them longer then I think 2 yrs. I think if they stood the headlights up with the 50's eye brow,A little tail fin they would have been so much more better looking. I also remember they were going to make a 2 door conv. Marauder I think around 1999.I was thinking my Bronco is paid off I would have bought one for sure.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/mer...ept-auto-shows
It has come up for sale a few times. As it is one of a few modern show cars that Ford design studios built that escaped the crusher and we're sold. It has no top, no door or quarter glass, the seatbelts are non functional ( IE; don't retract) and there's no chassis/ body bracing. It's still a good looking car. Too bad they didn't make it driveable concept because it is very sharp looking.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
supr squirrel
Cadet

Fan#: 3596
What I Drive: 2017 Explorer XLT Shadow Black

supr squirrel Good Standing Member
I think the SSR's biggest issue were the changes from 'concept car' to actual production vehicle. I remember seeing the concept of it and thinking 'that is awesome' and then being far less impressed with the production vehicle. Similar thing happened with the Pontiac Sunfire. Saw the concept car in '89 (I think) at a car show in St. Louis and really liked it. The production vehicle lost a lot of the charm IMO.

(Sorry, I know this went slightly off-topic, didn't really intend to.)
Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #16
scotman
Pilot

What"changes" from the concept turned you off?

I went back and studied the concept. Other than the tiny outside mirrors mounted up high and the quasi roll bar hoops integrated into the seat backs and the lack of federalised front bumper design height, the concept and production versions are near dead nuts copies! Other than the early ones not having very powerful engines, those SSR's were a true factory built retro hotrod. They were a freaking bargain. Boyd Coddington would have charged 100 grand to build and deliver a hotrod roadster as sorted out and reliable as an SSR! The only compromisees GM design made were literally due to federal mandates.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 AM   #17
supr squirrel
Cadet

Fan#: 3596
What I Drive: 2017 Explorer XLT Shadow Black

supr squirrel Good Standing Member
Just went back and looked at the concept poster. I think the larger wheels on the concept (seemed like it was 20s in front and 22s in the rear) and the slightly more pronounced rake was what I remembered being 'different' from the one produced...that and the 'split' windshield on the concept. It just looks (at least to me) like they softened up the SSR before production. I also liked the rear of the concept better. The 'Chevrolet' across the back instead of the bow tie. It looked more 'classic' in the concept. Also liked how the exhaust pipes exited through the bumper instead of under it. A bunch of little subtle things.

Having said all of that not trying to argue with you, just pointing out the things that 'disappointed' (for lack of a better phrase) me when the SSR hit the streets. Still liked it, just not as much.

Concept

Production
Old 07-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #18
scotman
Pilot

OK. Those are tiny details...

It is really an amazing job that GM design did on that one! Having personally restored and owned a vintage pickup , at the time it came out I understood it to be a low volume production model that was a testbed for new materials and processes. It was. Plus it was a cool looking showroom piece to build traffic and image! The power hardtop was the only feature that frightened me a bit, from a durability and repair cost perspective.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #19
webbrowan
Cadet

Fan#: 3572
What I Drive: o

webbrowan Good Standing Member
This list is as entertaining as it is sad. Some of those listed look pretty alright in terms of their outlook and some are still available in today's market though in other makes or models. I guess not every car release can and will be accepted by the market and thus labelled as a failure. That's just how it is with business today, consumers decide what's best.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #20
felixthecat
Ace Pilot

Fan#: 1862
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

felixthecat Great Standing Member
Surprised that the Aztek didn't make the list...Chrysler used to be pretty fast at throwing out one of vehicles, like the Prowler.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131