Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Trucks > Ford F-Series > Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension

Unread 03-21-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
carljak
Cadet

Fan#: 2639
What I Drive: F-150

carljak Good Standing Member
ReadyLift leveling kit, good?

First mod is leveling kit for my rig, and I'm thinking about buying the 2.5" Ready Lift at 4WO-Shop for Truck Lift Kit. I saw some positive reviews on the internet about this leveling kit but would like to see some personal feedback/reviews from F150 owners. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Unread 03-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
What you need to know is there are two basic types of leveling kits for 2004 up 150's. There is the bolt on type that justs sits on top of the coil over assembly, and there is the internal ones that require disassembly of the coil over and it sits on top of the spring itself. The bolt on style is easier to install, just basic hand tools are needed. Both styles come in different materials, the most common and preferred is steel, and there is aluminum, and finally poly. The poly type is usually used on the internal (on top of the spring style) and has a tendency to compress and lose lift over time, so they are getting harder to find, as the sales are dropping. The aluminum ones come in both types, external bolt on and internal. The aluminum can be subject to scoring and premature wear on the internal kind as the spring may move and gouge a groove into the aluminum, and both types are subject to bi-metallic corrosion is you live in an area where rust is a problem. And finally steel, they are the strongest of the three and for for the most part the cheapest. The steel ones usually are the bolt on style, I've never seen an internal steel kit.

The pro and cons of both types are

external bolt on- cheaper and easier to install, does not effect spring rate because they sit on top of the coil over. They actually relocate the upper coil-over mount to give the lift.

internal type- harder to install and can be more expensive depending on material used. Actually changes spring rate because of the location of lift kit, they create excessive stress on the shock and over compress the spring. My advise is to stay away from the internals, they are not worth the aggravation.

Brands, there are literally dozens of brands out there for leveling kits, but you can get a steel bolt on kit for ~80 bucks new if you know where to shop. I myself prefer the http://autospringcorp.com/ brand, they offer more than one height to choose from (1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3") are better built than some of the others are american made out of american steel and are cheap, 75 bucks for the painted model and 83 for the powder coated ones.

My advice, get an autospring kit and either install it yourself, or if you can't due to lack of a place to or lack of tools or skill, just go to your local tire and brake, suspension shop and have them put it on. I would not pay more than 100 bucks for install as I know how easy it is. And get an alignment while your there.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded

Last edited by I Bleed Ford Blue; 03-21-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Great info!

Just to give another brand, there is a local company that everyone around here loves called Hell Bent Steel. Their reviews speak for themselves.

http://www.hellbentsteel.com/ford/fo...FQ5gMgodvx8AVQ

All kits are built right here in Utah as well, if being Made in the USA is important to you.
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
Autospring kits are made in Idaho, and one of the reasons I like them is they add gussets to the kits. http://autospringcorp.com/index.php?...up_image&pID=6

The non gusseted ones tend to break if you take them off road.

When the time comes to replace the tires on my 13, I'm going bigger and I will use another Autospring kit. Had a 2.5" kit on my 05, and a 3" front and rear kit on my 07.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Unread 06-01-2018, 12:32 AM   #5
elton1017
Cadet

Fan#: 4929
What I Drive: 2008 Ford F-150

elton1017 Good Standing Member
I was able to give it a try before when I bought one from 4WheelOnline. It was good but I switch to Skyjacker.

Last edited by elton1017; 06-11-2018 at 02:40 AM.