Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

I need some advice

37K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  melansonc98 
#1 ·
I would like some expert (or at least knowledgeable) help on improving the suspension on my '01 Ranger. What's the problem? It is just generally loose feeling and noisy, loud rumbling, bumping noises on rough pavement. Also, I've had a vibration/shake at high speed that I can seem to get resolved. Tire store says the tires are balanced and road forced properly. Coud it be in the suspension? A mechanic friend of mine says my ball joints are OK even thought the boots on the lowers are cracked. What components, bushings, etc. should I look at replacing to make this thing drive a little more like new?
Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to BOF, and you've come to the right place. I have a similar problem on my 02 sport Trac. But I know what mine is. Even though your tires are/recently balanced, they could be out of round, causing vibrations. Look at your ujoints in both the front and rear driveshafts (if 4x4). Try to move the driveshaft near the joint in an up and down and side to side movement. If you have move it even slightly, the joints need replacing. Suspension wise, your bushings could be getting to the point of needing replacement (control arm bushings and swaybar bushings and endings). A good investment is to use polyurethane bushings, as they are more durable and tighter than new rubber bushings. You also need to check your tierods, they can contribute to your looseness feeling. If the tierods are good, with the front tires off the ground, try to move the tires back and forth, in the same direction of turning left and right. If the tires move even slightly, your rack and pinion could be the issue, or a combination of all...

SVT

#5 ·
I recently installed new Coker Classic radial tires on my 57 T-Bird. They were mounted and balanced. The following weekend I went to a Car Show about 35 miles from the house. The vibration was so bad between 55 and 70 that it threw a hubcap off. Took it back for a re-balance and they found that all four tires were out-of-round. I returned the tires to Amazon for a full refund and bought Diamondback's. Now it's as smooth as glass.

Burke

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.