Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Mustang > 5.0L (2011-Current)

Unread 05-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
mitahale
Cadet

Fan#: 4927
What I Drive: 2015 Blue Mustang GT Premium Conv

mitahale Good Standing Member
2015 Mustang GT Premium Conv. paddle shifter gear display?

Hello,

Recently purchased; I'm having an extremely hard time trying to figure out why I don't see gear numbers next to my odometer when I try to use SelectShift transmission. I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I move the gear shifter to S, I start out and the car shifts before I pull the paddle. It's hard to tell if the trans is making decisions for me or it's shifting when I activate the paddles. I feels very much like I'm not in control of changing gears, and doubly frustrating that I don't know what gear I'm in because nothing shows on the display!

In addition to selecting "S", am i supposed to be in Sport, Sport Plus or Track mode as well? Does traction control need to be turned on or off? Are there additional menu options i need to have selected? I'm hoping it is a simple fix or something i'm doing wrong, and I have tried every possible scenario I can think of, and nothing works.

I've contacted my selling dealer and several dealers in my area; no one has a solution. I contacted FordOwner.com. The guy on the phone "isn't trained to answer this question" and said I should contact my local dealer. The manual just says the gear number should appear in the information display.

I've seen a little about customers' negative comments about Selectshift, and wondered if someone on this site could offer any advice or recommendations.

Thank you for your input. I love the car and hopefully I can soon start enjoying something that works the way Ford says it is supposed to.

Unread 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
When I had my truck, a 13 F150 with the 5.0 and the same 6R80 transmission you have, it had a button on the side of the shifter instead of the paddles. When you were not moving and the truck in gear, if you pushed the down button it would lock out each gear starting from 6 down to 1. So if you pushed it 5 times it would only show first gear. Conversely, pushing the up button would unlock each gear in order. When you got to the top or 6th gear, pushing the up button again would toggle the display on or off. I don't know if it will work on a mustang but it's worth a shot. Keep tapping the up paddle and see if the display comes on. You had to do this in drive, not sport mode on the shifter. Once you toggled it on, it would show in drive and manual or sport mode.

BTW all gt convertibles from 15-17 are premiums. I don't have the auto on mine, to get the performance pack with the big brembo brakes on a convertible you have to get the manual. But I wanted one anyway.

16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Unread 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
mitahale
Cadet

Thank you for your reply! Probably a dumb question, but when you say push the "up" button, do you mean the "-" button as in shifting up to 1st or (+) up to 6th? I thought I read that if "S" is selected on the gear shift, that trans will only use the first five gears; or is that a different issue? Should I be doing all the paddle clicking you recommend in "D" to get the display to toggle on?
Unread 05-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
mitahale
Cadet

I guess I'll try both and get back to you. I don't have a PP, if that makes a difference.
Unread 05-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
mitahale
Cadet

Tried clicking the + and - paddles 10 times each in both D and S and no go. I'm guessing the trans in my 2015 is different than your 2013? It was exciting to hear that the display could be toggled on or off... just don't know how to do it on my 2015... thanks for your input.
Unread 06-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
mitahale
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitahale View Post
Tried clicking the + and - paddles 10 times each in both D and S and no go. I'm guessing the trans in my 2015 is different than your 2013? It was exciting to hear that the display could be toggled on or off... just don't know how to do it on my 2015... thanks for your input.
Amazing… someone must have heard my calls for help today.

After leaving my Mustang at the dealership for for two days of diagnostic testing, the dealership called this morning and said they found the source of the problem; it was in the engine wiring harness (under the passenger side of the dash). One of the wires had a push pin that was broken. They stuffed the wire down into the connector as a temporary fix, and “emergency” ordered a whole new wiring harness for the engine. Will call me when it comes in, and will provide a loaner car; said it’s about a 2-day project. Everything, including the hours of diagnostics, is all under my remaining 17 days of new car warranty.

I drove the Mustang home using the paddle shifters and for the first time, the numbers display in the dash, the tranny allows me when I want, not when it wants. So much more fun. Amazing that a single wire connection has so much control over a major component of driving the car. I guess I’ll keep it, ha!…
Unread 06-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #7
elton1017
Cadet

Fan#: 4929
What I Drive: 2008 Ford F-150

elton1017 Good Standing Member
That looks too good.