Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > General Car Discussions > Blue Oval Build Showroom

Unread 01-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #31
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Time for an update. Although its been some time since I last posted, I've been working on this project pretty steadily, mainly doing a lot of research. First up, the injector pump, its finished, painted, and mounted on the motor...

The motor painted...

Picked up a power steering pump with gear drive...

Got all the fuel lines, lift pump, injector pump, and new fuel filter back on the motor. Got the trans bolted up, and its ready to get set in the jeep...

And in she goes...

But, not without issues. Had to unbolt the tracbar from the frame, had to lift the front end up almost completely having the front axle hang free so the oil pan will clear so the motor and trans would go in far enough to the firewall. Here is the front of the motor and where the tracbar mounts to the frame...

The starter had to be removed due to clearance issues. The starter motor is mounted on top of the bendix, to act as a reduction style setup. It won't clear, I'll need to find a direct drive style starter...

In front the starter the heater hose outlet was pointed right at the frame...

Easy fix...

Right behind the heater hose outlet, the oil filter hits the frame...

With the engine almost kissing the firewall, its as far back as it can go. The trans shifter tower is a little forward of the stock location, if this vehicle had a manual trans option, which it didn't, but you can barely see the plate in the floorboard to the far right. It's about 5 inches forward of where it needs to be, but I think I can make it work. Still got to make the engine and trans mounts...

Moving onto the turbo. The stock H1C turbo is too small and won't supply the air needed with the upgraded fuel system. I did some extensive researching, and I've found a turbo that will work very well. It's a unique T3/T4 hybrid that was built specifically for the Ford 7.3L IDI engines for 93-94. This turbo will support up to 450 hp, and it will be getting a full rebuild. Here are some comparison picks to the H1C. The hybrid is on the left, H1C on the right. The hybrid is slightly smaller on the turbine side...

Hybrid on the right...

Hybrid compressor wheel on the right...

To show you just how much more air this will flow, here are the compressor housings, the hybrid is on the left. These are unmodified. A larger housing is available for the hybrid...

Hybrid on the left...

Here is the hybrid completely disassembled awaiting the rebuild kit, which is ordered and should have it by wednesday...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat