Ford Forums & Technical Discussions banner

2017 Edge Sport Volume Question?

14K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SparkyPhantom 
#1 ·
We have the Sony sound system and it seems very quiet even with maxed volume. Is there a way to change that? If you have windows down on highway you can't hear it that clearly.

Thank you all!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had several vehicles with the sony audio package and they are basically garbage. The sony adds more speakers and a sub, but they are all severely underpowered, less than 20 watts RMS per channel.

#4 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding, a spam-bot took over the site and I had to wait until the mods cleaned it up.

Changing out the speakers is like putting lipstick on a pig, it really won't do much. The real problem is the sony amp and the way ford designed the entire system. The audio signal is sent to the sony amp thru the can-bus network so if you try to bypass it, the whole system does not work. That's problem 1. Problem 2, the amp itself. If you really want better sound, you need to put a line driver on the speaker output of the sony amp to convert the signal back down to a line level signal so you can feed your own amps of your choosing then onto your own speakers of your choice. Also if you plan on pushing 75 watts rms or more to each speaker you should upgrade the speaker wires, ford uses 18 ga wires and they tend to overheat if you push a lot of power thru them. good news is if you plan to do this, there is a 12v amp turn on lead going to the sony amp that you can splice into to trigger your own amps and line driver with. Oh and be prepared to spend some coin, I spent 3 grand when I did this to my truck, and I did the work myself.

#5 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding, a spam-bot took over the site and I had to wait until the mods cleaned it up.

Changing out the speakers is like putting lipstick on a pig, it really won't do much. The real problem is the sony amp and the way ford designed the entire system. The audio signal is sent to the sony amp thru the can-bus network so if you try to bypass it, the whole system does not work. That's problem 1. Problem 2, the amp itself. If you really want better sound, you need to put a line driver on the speaker output of the sony amp to convert the signal back down to a line level signal so you can feed your own amps of your choosing then onto your own speakers of your choice. Also if you plan on pushing 75 watts rms or more to each speaker you should upgrade the speaker wires, ford uses 18 ga wires and they tend to overheat if you push a lot of power thru them. good news is if you plan to do this, there is a 12v amp turn on lead going to the sony amp that you can splice into to trigger your own amps and line driver with. Oh and be prepared to spend some coin, I spent 3 grand when I did this to my truck, and I did the work myself.
Thank you for the info. That really sucks lol. Was hoping a bit more from Ford.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.