Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > General Car Discussions > Blue Oval Build Showroom

Unread 09-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Small update in the parts area. I needed to fab a pair of radius arm frame brackets to attach to the frame. I also wanted to extend them. I ended up working out a deal for the extended arms that project D ranged were using. I'll be heading up there in a couple weeks to finish getting D running, when I do, I'll pick up the arms then...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Ok, so I went back to look for a pic of the DIY beadlocks I had my buddy made me for HWW, and I couldn't find them in my other thread and I aparantly deleted the only pic I had in my PM box. So I took a couple pics of it, here it is...

It has the monster energy drink font to it, without saying that, it looks like it was cut out with a torch free hand. I still have to drill and tap the inner rings. I could of had him do this as well, but to cut down on the work he had to do, I just had him mark the holes and I'd drill and tap them. I also haven't decided if I want to go with 5/16 or 3/8 bolts...

And here is where I'm stuck at. I can't decide if I want to use the 15x8 wagon wheels I have in this pic, which has more rust than you can see...

Or use a set of these which I would have to get from the junkyard, they are 91 stock F150 rims and are 15x7...

The tires I'm going to be running are 35-37" tall and 12.50" wide. The DIY beadlocks add about 3/4"-1" of width to the rim, so either rim would work. I can't decide which to go with. Thoughts? Opinions?

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Ok, its official. Just made a deal on some wheeling tires. 36x13.50 bias ply super swamped Iroks. They have decent tread left, so they will work. I'm swapping a set of good 33 mud tires I have on another truck. So I need to do some tire swapping. I got a set of military tires a little while back. I need to mount them on my wagon wheels I have that came on my f350, the tires on it now are dry rotted to the point of not holding air. Then I need to pull my 33s off my f350 and dismount them on the 15x10 rims so I can mount them on my buddy's rims. I should be going back out that way in about 3 weeks...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 10-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Time to get back on this, I really had planned on getting this thing built in just a couple weeks. Anyways, I had a deal worked out for a pair of extended radius arms, that deal has since fell through. So I need to fab a set of arms. But to do that, I need to set the engine and Tcase in place first. I also need to get my doubler built as I need to know where the front driveshaft is going to be, as this is close to the area where my arms' pivot point will be. I also want to push the front axle forward 4-6", possibly more. So I'm going to start the doubler Monday. Plans are to build a custom reduction box case, and not use a 1350 case like the typical way the 50/54 doublers are normally made. The reason for this is I'm after the shortest possible doubler setup possible. I'm thinking of using a Toyota transfercase for a few reasons. They are small, lightweight, all gear design, and most of all, the ability to be twin-sticked. There is also a 6.5:1 gearset that is available should the need for a lower crawl ratio be needed. Twin-sticks are not really needed that I have found so far in my experience in wheeling, but that's not to say it would never be needed. This option, of course, would add to the cost, as I don't have a Toyota Tcase, I do have a working 1350, a 1350 for parts, a working electric 1354, and a good 4405 case. If I stick with the ranger cases, I will take the 54 guts and install them into the 4405 case. The 50 and 54 front case splits into multiple parts (the reason why one of my 50 cases is a parts case, the front part has broken case parts) whereas the 4405 is a one piece-half design, the front half case is does not split into separate pieces...
I also decided on using the wagon wheels I have. With the tires I have (36x13.5x15), I really need a 10" wide rim, so the extra inch in width will be needed. The rims are 15x8, and after the beadlocks are welded on the final width will be about 8.75". After the doubler I may build the beadlocks...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
disciplerocks
GT40 all the things!

Fan#: 403
What I Drive: Couple Foci, Couple RBVs

disciplerocks Excellent Standing Memberdisciplerocks Excellent Standing Member
I used a 1350 case for my rear, but used 1354 guts and front planetary.
00 F150 XLT DD/Tow Pig
04 Focus ZX3 RIP
89 Bronco II XLT RIP

Moderating
-Blue Oval Build Showroom
-Ford Crossovers & SUVs
-Ford Mustang
-Ford Trucks
-General Ford Chat
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

I might see if I can snatch a 6 pinion from the yard next time I go, I'm down to just one, the one in my 54...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Not too much of an update. Been busy with other things. Been redesigning the doubler and I'm almost done with the design. Hopefully next week I can start cutting material and building the all new doubler. I will most likely market it when I'm done as all the research I've done, my design will be stronger, shorter, and less parts. I'm at a stand still on the build as I need to find my total length of my drivetrain so I can locate the front axle, plan where the rear axle will be as I'm aiming to run the same length driveshafts front & rear. I'd like to push the front axle about 6" from stock, but I also might suck the front body in a couple inches. I'm going with a custom front end, so body work is needed anyways...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Small parts update:
36/13.5/15 iroks, have about 60% tread...

Also picked up a set of 4.56 gears for the front axle. They're in the mail, so I should have them in a couple days. I now have matching front and rear gears. Still need front and rear lockers and a rear carrier since the rear is currently welded. Still need a few parts from the junkyard like a radiator, AC condenser, motor mounts, fuel tank and fuel lines. Probably a couple more items I'm forgetting at the moment. I now have all the components for the wheel & tire package, just got to sand the rims down, weld on the beadlock rings, paint the rims, then mount the tires on the rims. Really wish I had some wider rims though, probably why I haven't mounted them yet...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Took a little longer to get the gears, come to find out the guy didnt send them til the 2nd. Anyways, now ive got to find me an open series 4 carrier (3.92 and up) since the gears are not thick cut. Might look into using a spacer, though ive never used those before and I have my doubts...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

So I picked up this chevy axle just for parts. Specs: dana 44, unknown lunchbox locker, 4.88 gears, flat top knuckles already drilled & tapped for high steer, and high steer arms. Looks like the high steer arms were drilled straight, not tapered. I'll be picking this up tomorrow, for $200. I'll be pulling the series 4 carrier out and using it and the locker, then I'll pull the high steer arms off, pull the knuckles off, pull the gears and sell em separately. I'll also pull the stub shafts and they will go up on the auction block as well. I'll be left with the inner shafts, the housing and the diff cover. Might take my series 3 carrier from the 44 under HWW and put it in the chevy 44 housing and try and sell it, otherwise it'll go in the scrap pile. I'll see if I can use the inner shafts in the ford 44. I dont remember if they're the same length or not, I really just need the long side, time will tell. The calipers will either go with the knuckles or I'll put them on the 10 bolt I was given and try to sell it. I dont know if it has lockouts or not, but if it does, they're going up for sale as well. I should be able to make my money back plus some as well as keep the carrier and locker, which is all I wanted anyway. Here's a pic of the chevy 44 I'm picking up tomorrow...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat