Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > General Car Discussions > Blue Oval Build Showroom

Unread 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #21
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Well, I got the axle, but I cant use none of it realistically. It didnt have a locker, it was a mini spool. The gears are 488 thick cut, so its got a series 3 carrier. It is however an 8 lug axle, and has a fairly new set of warn manual lockouts in great shape. It was a 10 hour round trip, so I already had $100 worth of fuel in it not to buy it. So the plan is to pull it apart and part it out. Not sure what arms it has on it. It has a mount for hydro assist, but I dont know any chevy guys, so its likely the housing will get scrapped. Guess I'm still looking for parts...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #22
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
So for reasons I dont want to go into, I need to keep my mind off of things, and I think this is one way to do it. This project is going to be put on the trails soon, but I'll be making some shortcuts to make that happen. A doubler is still in the fab stages, so for now HWW will stay with a single case. The rear axle will not get built into hybrid for now, it'll stay drum brake. The wheelbase will not be shortened out back for now. The idea is to get it trail able asap to get my mind off recent events. Hopefully I'll be working on this next week or the week after...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #23
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

One more piece to the puzzle. A set of shafts. I have brand new Spicer 760 joints going in. Still waiting on the carrier, once that comes in I can assemble the front axle...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Its been delayed on shipment, but I added another part to the pile. I found a dana 44 series 4 carrier for $30 shipped, it'll be here Monday....

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 03-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #25
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Just made a pricelist of all the parts in the first post to keep a record, I'm at $1,530. Not bad for a capable budget wheeler. I think I should be able to get this done for under $2k...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #26
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

I got the carrier in, ive been out of town all week, it came monday, its supposed to be a series 4, I need to measure it to make sure, it even has the spider gears...

I now have all the parts to ginish assembling the front axle, minus the lunchbox locker. I need to order some DOM, tube adapters and bushings to make a tracbar as the stock length is too long...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Small update. Thanks to Dustin, I now have a complete set of 15x10 wheels. I had 3 that were chrome, D just happen to have 2 white wheels that were the same wagon style, same size with the same mounting depth. I had wanted to get this done a long time ago, but this has kind of turned into a hobby more than a build project. Since this is at my old house, its not close by for me to work on it when I get a free hour or two. I mighg try and work on getting the wheels done this week. Plans are to wire wheel them, weld on the beadlock rings, shoot some primer, then either plastidip them or use epoxy paint...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #28
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

I also made a deal to get some extra breathing on this thing. Since it seems I turned into a boost junkie, I now have an M90 to put on this motor. So, the plot thickens...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #29
disciplerocks
GT40 all the things!

Fan#: 403
What I Drive: Couple Foci, Couple RBVs

disciplerocks Excellent Standing Memberdisciplerocks Excellent Standing Member
As much as I'd like to see progress, you need to finish one project before moving to another.

...wait what am I talking about lol.
00 F150 XLT DD/Tow Pig
04 Focus ZX3 RIP
89 Bronco II XLT RIP

Moderating
-Blue Oval Build Showroom
-Ford Crossovers & SUVs
-Ford Mustang
-Ford Trucks
-General Ford Chat
Unread 09-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #30
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

I scored a richmond powertrax locker for $50 from a pirate member. Said the coupler was bad/damaged. I got it in the mail today and just the very outside corner was scared. Looks ok to run as is, just need to get a spring kit, ebay has it for $30. So, I got a $500 locker for $80

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat