Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > General Car Discussions > Blue Oval Build Showroom

Unread 03-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #21
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Fan#: 1269
What I Drive: V8 Fords

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Here's today's progress, and for the pic happy people. Here's the EV6 injectors and returnless fuel rail...

Here's the oil pressure sensor plug on the 99...

And here's the oil pressure sensor for the 96-98 harnesses...

Here's the 96-98 cam syncronizer plug...

Here's the 99-01 two wire plug...

Not pictured, but the 96-97 alternator harness is separate from the engine harness. Here's a shot of the 98-01 setup with it running with the engine harness...

Here's the EV6 injectors and the returnless fuel rails installed...

Here's where I stopped. When I removed the upper intake, the gasket tore, so I need to get another one. Here the 99 harness is on the motor, with the upper intake just sitting on the motor...

This motor has been sitting for a while. The throttle body has corrosion built up around the blade, and I couldn't open the throttle, the alternator was rusted where it couldn't be turned by hand, the pullies are all stiff, and the serpentine belt, although a new motorcraft belt, was stuck to every single pulley. Pulled the belt off, put a ratchet on the alternator and broke it loose, when put my cordless impact on it and spun it for about 5 seconds. It spins freely now. Put a ratchet on the crank expecting it not to turn over, but it did. The AC compressor feels stiff, so Ill probably use the one off the 4.0.
The trans harness has the same connections from the 98 harness and the 99-01, with no vss in the trans/tcase.

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #22
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
Rick, I was reading on a Mustang page (can't remember which) that the EV1 connectors can be used if you file a corner down. Do you know if this appears to be true?

Hoss still has the original injectors on it, and I wouldn't mind an upgrade.
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

RangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True FanaticRangerSVT True Fanatic
Nope, the injectors are totally different. I posted in my ST thread aboug some plug n play adapters. Its either that or you get the pigtails and splice them on. But if I were you and was going to upgrade, I'd go to the newer EV15 injectors...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
white89gt
Administrator Shane

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
What's special about them, and what would I pull them off of?

Posting from the Galaxy.
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #25
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Just saw your post. Fordfuelinjection.com went down, so I cant give you a comparison...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #26
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Got some more done today. The brake lines from the explorer were in bad shape, so I went to the junkyard and got some replacement parts...

Got the axle in the truck...

Here's the replacement line. I also had to replace the driverside flex line, as the mount to the hardline was rusted...

Here's the new rotors Dave bought. I almost put them on my truck, lol...

Here's the driverside flexline...

Cause of the lift, the flex line was stretched tight when the suspension was full droop, so instead of putting the flex line in the bracket, I pulled the hard line down to give it more slack...

Here's the E brake cable connected...

I would have got the wheels back on it, but I need to replace the E brake shoes as they were cracked, which is a common problem. That's all for today, gonna get some more done tomorrow...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #27
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSVT View Post
Just saw your post. Fordfuelinjection.com went down, so I cant give you a comparison...

SVT
Dang, I hope they register with ICANN again. Here's an archive that was taken on January 3rd. Some photos don't archive, but info does.

http://web.archive.org/web/201401031...injection.com/

If there's ever a site you want to go back in time on, go here and type in the address, then select the period of time:

http://archive.org/web/
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Got some done today, but cut short by the rain. Through the rear tires on temporarily to move it around. Started pulling the motor, got the hood off, battery out, rad out, fan shield, ECU & 42 pin plug disconnected, fuel line disconnected, cruise control & throttle cable disconnected, emissions tube disconnected, 12 pin alternator harness disconnected, power steering return line, airbox, heater hoses, vacuum lines feeding heater control valve, vacuum line feeding brake booster, bjb power feed line, and motor mount nuts. Also got the rear driveshaft out, and that's where I had to stop as the rain was moving in...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #29
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Updates. When I pulled the harness from the junkyard, every one of the locking clips on the injector plugs broke off. Over time they get brittle. I didn't like the way they were loose on the injector, so I got some replacement plugs...

Here is a closeup of the locking clip...

Here you can see the clip that's broke on the harness...

Here is one plug replaced, next to a broken plug, sitting on the injector...

After that was done, it was time to install the new finewire platinum plugs...

According to Ford, plug gap should be between .052-.056. I gapped them at .055. The old plugs were gapped between .042-.046...

After they were installed, then I swapped the exhaust manifolds. All but one bolt was reused on each side. I needed a longer bolt...

The motor is now ready to drop in. I've got another intake gasket, but the upper intake needs to be removed for installation. I might install the 4406 before it goes in. I continued prepping for the motor to come out. Got both driveshafts out, disconnected the shifter cable, tcase electrical connector, and started getting the exhaust unbolted from the motor. This is where things got bad. Got the driver side without a problem. The passenger side, however, was a royal pain to get to. Got one nut off, but when I went to get the other off, it finally broke free with a lot of force, causing me to badly injure my arm in the process. Got a pretty bad hematoba just above my elbow. It was immobile for about 2 hours. Still can't bend it more than 50% without assistance. With the pain I was in, I was done for the day. Tomorrow I hope its feeling better, my goal is to have the 4.0 out and at least have the 5.0 in and mounted. Starting Thursday I'll be back on 14 hr days for about a week or so, so progress will be slow after tomorrow. Also noticed looking through the pile of replacement parts that the fuel filter is the wrong type. There are two types, a 2" diameter and a 3", Dave has the 3", but got the 2". I ran into the same problem with my setup. The 3" isn't available from our favorite parts store, so I might order a couple from rock auto...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
RangerSVT
Co-Founder

Today's progress. I got the 4406 mounted to the trans...

Installed the shift motor from the 1354...

Motor's on its way out...

Here it is on the ground...

Pulled the AC compressor from the 4.0, installed it on the 5.0...

Here you can see the difference in motor mounts...

Went to install the drivetrain, found the setup is way too long. Gonna have to pull the tcase to install it. Ran out of daylight for today. So close...

SVT
Y2K F150 4x4 Lariat