Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Fusion > Exterior Mods & Upgrades

Unread 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
pyzik
Pilot

Fan#: 1139
What I Drive: 2006 Dune Pearl Milan MTX

pyzik Great Standing Member
LEDs on their way

Just ordered the 3M headlight "restoration" kit since my headlights are showing some discoloration .
Needed to spend a little more to get free two-day shipping so I picked up puddle lamp and licence plate LEDs. Got all four for like $16.

Crappy thing is, I leave to go out of town for almost a week Wednesday morning. So the whole time I am gone I'll be thinking about my package sitting, waiting for me.

Turn signals are next but I can't decide if I want "switchbacks" for the front signals or not.

Unread 08-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
viney266

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: 2003 light tundra Ford focus wagon

viney266 Great Standing Member
Its sad how quickly new headlight lens get fogged...The kit works well though, just some elbow grease :)
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
pyzik
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
Its sad how quickly new headlight lens get fogged...The kit works well though, just some elbow grease :)
The kit actually worked GREAT. I did burn my lenses in a few spots from the drill catching... oops. Still, they look better than they did!!

Here is before...

And after...

Can't figure out how to get a good pic of the puddle lamp LEDs but they look good. License plate not so much though. They were supposed to be white but they are definitely a little blue! They aren't quite as blue in person, but still blue. Gotta order new ones.

Unread 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Mercury07Milan
Cadet

Fan#: 1117
What I Drive: 2007 Mercury Milan Premier V6

Mercury07Milan Great Standing Member
i have this starting to creep on my passenger light. it's only about 1/4 inch away from the edge but is slowly moving down. what all did you use (be specific)...
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
pyzik
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury07Milan View Post
i have this starting to creep on my passenger light. it's only about 1/4 inch away from the edge but is slowly moving down. what all did you use (be specific)...
I used 3M's "Headlight Restoration Kit". I used 3M's "Headlight Restoration Kit".

The kit I purchased came with everything needed except masking tape, a micro fiber cloth and hand drill (obviously).
They supply all the sanding pads and drill attachment. You start with 500 grit then move to 800 then to wet sand then polish. Pretty easy, though as I said you can burn your lenses if not careful enough.

It took me about 15-20 minutes per lens. It didn't get them "like new" but darn close. Definitely worth the $15. It's $30 locally and it's worth that, to me.

The kit says to use this every three months to protect lenses from UV. The kit says to use this every three months to protect lenses from UV.

Last edited by pyzik; 08-14-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
08SDford
Cadet

Fan#: 1144
What I Drive: 2008 red ford fusion

08SDford Great Standing Member
Where did u get the LEDs from. I like how they look
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
pyzik
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SDford View Post
Where did u get the LEDs from. I like how they look
Through Amazon (free shipping over $25). Going to be ordering a bunch more come this weekend. I want to redo all my interior lights now.

Amazon.com: 2x T10 13-smd 5050 LED White Lights Bulbs for 194 168 W5w Interior,door, License Plate, Parking Lights: Automotive Amazon.com: 2x T10 13-smd 5050 LED White Lights Bulbs for 194 168 W5w Interior,door, License Plate, Parking Lights: Automotive

Amazon.com: Amico 2 x 36mm Car Canbus Error Free White 3 SMD LED Festoon Dome Map Light Bulbs: Automotive Amazon.com: Amico 2 x 36mm Car Canbus Error Free White 3 SMD LED Festoon Dome Map Light Bulbs: Automotive
(these were supposed to be white but came as the blue you see in the pic.)
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
08SDford
Cadet

Fan#: 1144
What I Drive: 2008 red ford fusion

08SDford Great Standing Member
Ok thanks. I have to get some of those soon