Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Cars > Ford Taurus > Ford Taurus Discussions

Unread 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
smokeslilpuff
Cadet

Fan#: 3122
What I Drive: 2011 White Ford Taurus

smokeslilpuff Good Standing Member
serious brake issues

I purchased a 2011 Taurus SEL in November of 2011. I believe it was a company or rental car and had 14,000 miles. In April of 2012 I started having brake problems. The left rear caliper had seized. It has been downhill ever since. I have replaced the left caliper three times. Pads and rotors on the rear about ever 9 months. The line to the left brake was replaced. The right rear wheel bearing was replaced along with pads on the rear two weeks ago. Now the front left is bound up. The dealership has given me nothing but grief so my normal mechanic has been working on my car. Has anyone else had brake problems with the vehicle???

Unread 03-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
With the caliper changes, are the caliper pins being replaced and properly greased as well?

The only thing else I can think of is maybe a faulty ABS controller. Do you have an ABS light lit up on the dash?
Unread 03-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
smokeslilpuff
Cadet

I believe all the work has been done correctly. No ABS light is illuminated.
Unread 03-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
Mr. Fixer Upper
Cadet

Fan#: 3497
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Taurus SEL

Mr. Fixer Upper Good Standing Member
Yes. The rear brake calipers are prone to seizing likely due to the pads sticking and overheating. I have had one rear caliper and replaced rear pads and rotors on two occasions by 90k miles on a 2012 Taurus SEL. I had to replace both rear wheel bearings also at 90k.
Unread 03-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
smokeslilpuff
Cadet

Thank you for replying. It seems there is a problem with the Taurus but Ford hasn't done anything about it.
Unread 03-23-2016, 02:49 AM   #6
white89gt
Administrator Shane

Fan#: 1293
What I Drive: 1989 Mustang GT, 1997 F150

white89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Memberwhite89gt Outstanding Standing Member
I've done a little reading, and it appears that this is a common issue. Apparently the rear brakes wear quicker than the front on the Gen 6 Taurus. In 2013 it looks like Ford revamped the rear brakes with larger rotors and the works. I know GM just got out of a rusty brake line recall on their truck and SUV line. Makes me wonder whose side the NHTSA is on.